New Payment Processor

Questions about modifications to Zuluru code, to add or change features
jafo

New Payment Processor

Post by jafo »

Hi Greg,

We would like to add Authorize.NET as a payment processor to Zuluru. I was wondering if you were open to creating it assuming I provide the configuration details OR would you be open to me creating it and contributing it back to main Zuluru code?

Thanks,
~Brian
GregS
Site Admin

Re: New Payment Processor

Post by GregS »

I'm certainly happy to have contributions to the code. It should be fairly obvious from the existing processor modules what would need to be done. I can look into doing it myself, but I do have a couple of things on my plate to take care of before I'd be able to get to it.
jafo

Post by jafo »

Completely understood, I will get started and check in with you as I progress.

Thanks Greg.
GregS
Site Admin

Post by GregS »

Let me know if you have any questions. One thing to look for is ensuring that it's a "hosted payment" type of API you integrate with. That is, you should send the person to the processor's site where they enter their credit card info, rather than collecting that on your server and sending it to them. There are quite stringent requirements placed on the infrastructure around collecting and sending such information, which small sports leagues are not necessarily going to be in a position to even understand, let alone comply with. Best to let the pros deal with that!
jafo

Post by jafo »

Greg,

Thank you and yes were thinking that aspect through just today. I thought from a PCI compliance standpoint as long as you don't store the credit card data and use TLS 2 during transmission of the data (I think all payment processors require that now anyways), you could collect the credit card in a form and pass it off the payment processor via the API. Again, no storage of the card info can be logged or kept anywhere. Is that considered acceptable?

Thanks,
Brian
GregS
Site Admin

Post by GregS »

I think that's right, but I haven't looked into it super closely; path of least resistance was to use hosted payment solutions. Faster implementation that way too, I think.
jafo

Post by jafo »

Hi Greg,

I have started working on the payment processor and realized I couldn't figure out how to create a reoccurring payment. Is there a way to have a monthly fee charged to the user? The concept we are going for is a monthly gym membership.

Thanks,
Brian
GregS
Site Admin

Post by GregS »

Zuluru was built for team sports, and recurring payments isn't something that happens in that market. Not really sure what changes would be required to add that support. At the very least, there would be new fields on the event to indicate that it's a recurring payment, and on the registration to indicate an (optional?) end date.

On the payment processing side, is it something that would have to be processed every month (requiring a new scheduled task) or is it just a one-time function to start it up and another to stop it at a later date?
jafo

Post by jafo »

Hi Greg,

Okay... I need to connect with the Authorize.NET team to see how they handle it. I'm hoping it is just a flag and an end date as you indicated, but I will let you know. From a design standpoint, are you open to having this be a feature that would get contributed back in the product if I can get it working? It for sure changes how I approach the code (i.e. edit yours or make a plugin).

Also can I just apologize upfront now, because I'm sure I'm going to have more questions? :D

Thanks,
Brian
jafo

Post by jafo »

Hi Greg,

Still working on reoccurring payments and the Authorize.Net payment gateway. One question that has come up is how do I properly script database changes into Zuluru so post install, the new database column(s) gets added to the database properly? In my case, I have Zuluru3 up and working, if I do a refresh from git, is there an init script to update so it will check to see if the database column exists and if not create it?

Thanks,
Brian