theme css and icons

Questions about how to change the look and feel of various areas of your Zuluru site
dcrobertson01

theme css and icons

Post by dcrobertson01 »

Greetings

Finally have a little time to take another look at Zuluru. I am having a go at some themeing, and am wondering if I can load css files from the zuluru/views/themed/themename directory.

I see I can add css files in the install.php, but these get loaded from the zuluru/webroot/css directory.

The same goes for images and icons and js files.

The reason for this is I'd like to be able to upload the whole lot somewhere for others to use - if I get something worth sharing :-) It would be a lot easier to do if everything was in one place.

Cheers

Don
GregS
Site Admin

Re: theme css and icons

Post by GregS »

The arrangement of all of this stuff will change (for the better!) with the file structure imposed by the new version of CakePHP. Since you're looking for a solution that supports other people using it, rather than just yourself, I'd recommend not spending too much time on the organizational aspect of it right now, as the new version should be released in a month or so, hopefully less. If you want to start preparing for that, you could read up a bit on the Cake site about how theming works in 3.2; it's all managed through plugins now, which means that whatever you come up with could eventually be installed with one easy "composer" command. And plugins can have their own webroot folders, so you should be able to easily accomplish what you're looking for with that.

Any new icons that you come up with will be immediately applicable to the new version: the naming of those hasn't changed at all.

CSS changes would be less portable, as there are pretty substantial changes coming in that area, as part of making Zuluru more mobile-friendly. Cosmetic things like a new colour scheme and/or font selection would probably be pretty easy to graft in; structural things like layout changes would be less so.
dcrobertson01

Post by dcrobertson01 »

Okay - I've added a jquery menu bar - simplemenu - and taken out your menu bar. It works well with a small screen. I will probably change the layout of some of the lists so they are a bit better on a small screen, but will leave it at that.

I'd like to get the new version to try out. Seems a bit silly for me to send you any changes I've made if a new version is due soon. I don't see it on Github, though.

Cheers,

Don
natarajanram

Post by natarajanram »

You mentioned that the new version would be released soon. Wanted to follow up if you have released it, if so please share its location.
GregS
Site Admin

Post by GregS »

The new version of Zuluru has finally been released! See the release notice in the Announcements forum. Zuluru simply uses the CakePHP theming functionality, so check that documentation for help in making your own.