Lights on Field

Request new features or changes to existing ones here
bullmoose20

Lights on Field

Post by bullmoose20 »

Hello,

I did not see a way to mention as part of a facility or field definition whether it had LIGHTS to play games after the sun goes down. Maybe a future enhancement?

Nick
GregS
Site Admin

Re: Lights on Field

Post by GregS »

This could be done. I don't think it's been an issue so far because a) the list of fields that a particular organization uses is generally pretty small, so admins will generally just remember those specifics, b) you typically set up game slots at the beginning of the season based on permit information, and so would have that sort of information right in front of you when you're doing this, and c) players will trust that if a game is scheduled to go until 10pm there will be sufficient lighting to play it.
bullmoose20

Post by bullmoose20 »

I was thinking more along the lines of people looking for fields to practice on and might look for attributes like surface type and whether there are lights. Helps newbie coaches....
GregS
Site Admin

Post by GregS »

In my experience, lit fields are generally expensive and booked for games. Also, fields that organizations list are the ones they're paying for, which means that if that organization doesn't have the permit for it on a particular night, somebody else does, and it's not available for practicing on anyway. But my experience in this area is mostly in a big city where all green space is at a premium, so may very well not be broadly applicable!

One of the areas for improvement in the "team events" function is to enable events (e.g. practices) to be scheduled onto fields, knowing whether a given field is lit or not could tie into this nicely.