Development IDE for Zuluru

Questions about modifications to Zuluru code, to add or change features
jafo

Development IDE for Zuluru

Post by jafo »

Hi Greg,

I was just wondering if you could share your favorite IDE for Zuluru development and the corresponding setup? Yes, doing log statements is getting really old :D

Thanks,
Brian
GregS
Site Admin

Re: Development IDE for Zuluru

Post by GregS »

I use PhpStorm, with xDebug on the server for integrated debugging. The directory where the code resides on the server is available to my laptop (where I run PhpStorm) via a network share. Initial mapping of source directories isn't entirely intuitive, but well worth the effort once it's all set up and running. With appropriate environment settings, I can even do integrated debugging and step through the code of unit tests that I run from the Linux command line!
jafo

Post by jafo »

So I haven't used phpstorm before but I like it so far, however your key statement about setting up the sources is where I'm stuck. Any chance you could post the project config (I think it is an XML file) without any top secret information so I can figure out how to do this? Seems pretty odd that I have to add every single plugin sub folder to the path, etc.

Thanks,
Brian
GregS
Site Admin

Post by GregS »

I don't know that there's a useful XML file I can give you; I think the debugging configurations are part of the overall PhpStorm configuration, not the specific project settings.

I definitely didn't have to add everything separately. It's been a while, but I recall that I used "Create New Project from Existing Files", then "Web server is on remote host, files are accessible via network share or mounted drive" (because that describes my situation), and selected the main Zuluru folder (not the webroot folder within it). From there, it loads everything: config, src, webroot, vendor, etc.

Then, there are settings to be handled under File -> Settings -> Languages & Frameworks -> PHP -> Servers, and also stuff under Tools -> Deployment -> Configuration. It's all honestly a bit confusing for me. But the easiest way I've found to get a new server configured is to enable "Run -> Break at first line in PHP scripts", you'll get a clickable notice that will take you to the "right place" for configuring network mappings.

The online documentation for PhpStorm is generally pretty good, so check there for more specifics of any step. Only warning I have there is that they seem to juggle menus around a fair bit between versions, so make sure that you're looking at something recent.

If you're feeling ambitious, maybe make notes on the steps you take to get things going, and we can turn that into a doc for others looking to take the same path.
jafo

Post by jafo »

Great news! I got it working. I will post something later with the steps.

Thanks for the help on this!