New Zuluru3 installation

Questions related to installing Zuluru 3
sotheron

New Zuluru3 installation

Post by sotheron »

Hi,

I'm have tried out the demo server and would like to install a local copy for testing.

I have followed the instructions on Github but I'm not sure where to proceed for the configuration. I am not too familiar with Cake so perhaps I have to do something that the instructions don't cover.

I am using a fresh virtual server, (Turnkey Linux), which is running Debian.

The Git & Composer install fine and I have my server pointing at Zuluru3/webroot.

The configuration suggests to run http://your.domain/installer/install but I cannot see this anywhere, should there be an installled directory within /webroot ? In addition to this issue do I need to configure Cake manually to point to the database or is this something that should ber covered by the install?

I have attached images for the webroot directory and the Zuluru3 directory.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Zuluru3 webroot
Zuluru3 webroot
z3-2.jpg (125.54 KiB) Viewed 16601 times
Zuluru3 root
Zuluru3 root
z3-1.jpg (201.87 KiB) Viewed 16601 times
sotheron

Re: New Zuluru3 installation

Post by sotheron »

Okay I seem to be up and running now, well I have the app running, I haven't started using it yet.

First issue was the Apache config, I needed to change my directives for my virtual host to.

Code: Select all

DocumentRoot /var/www/Zuluru3/webroot
<Directory "/var/www/Zuluru3/webroot">
AllowOverride All
Order allow,deny
allow from all
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
Require all granted
</Directory>
ServerName mysite.local
ServerAlias *.mysite.local
The Default was.

Code: Select all

DocumentRoot /var/www/Zuluru3/webroot
<Directory "/var/www/Zuluru3/webroot">
allow from all
Options +Indexes
Require all granted
</Directory>
ServerName mysite.local
ServerAlias *.mysite.local
IndexOptions
The above allowed the http://your.domain/installer/install URL to work which didn't previously.

I then made the mistake of filling the basic requirements of config/.env. I did this due to errors I was seeing in the connection. I believe this made Zuluru think I was running an upgrade though instead of an install, so of course I was getting all sorts of errors where it was looking for tables that didn't exist.

Removing the .env I got the install running but some connection issue with the mysql server was happening. When I typed in the mysql parameters on the install screen I was seeing "internal error occured" when submitting them. The Error log implied it was a connection issue but this wasn't the case as delibrate inccrrect credentials were failing, (i.e it was connecting to the mysql server). I tried removing the tmp/cache files but this didn't work either.

I couldn't work out what the issue was and after many hours I decided to use a later PHP version, (7.0). This cured all the problems and allowed the app to install.

Once complete I hit another problem, the app doesn't appear to like PHP 7.0. The error was something like " unexpected ‘new’ (T_NEW) error". A web search implied this was a PHP 7.0 "thing", so rather than debug I went back to PHP 5.6, this brought the app up and running again.

Most of the issues were down to configurations issues and my lack of understanding of Cake. Not sure about the initial connection error though trying to install with with PHP 5.6, perhaps this was a session or caching issue. The last error I'm assuming is because the app isn't PHP 7 ready yet.

Just though I'd document this in case it helps anybody else.

I look forward to testing the application. :D
GregS
Site Admin

Post by GregS »

Apologies for not responding earlier. Seems I didn't have post notifications enabled for this forum. :oops:

Glad to see you got things sorted out in the end. I'll see what I can do about adding some details to the installation documentation to help others avoid your problems. Detailed Apache configuration is probably outside the scope of what I can reasonably include, but I can reinforce what those sorts of errors might look like, and not to make your own app.php or .env as that will confound the installer.

Can't say what might have caused the problem with 5.6, solved with 7.0, but I expect it's a knock-on issue from your earlier attempts. Certainly 5.6 has worked with the installer in all of my tests.

You're right that I haven't tested Zuluru with PHP 7 yet. I hope to get to that soon. I do know that the underlying CakePHP framework has been tested thoroughly with 7, so the work on my side should be fairly minimal.
GregS
Site Admin

Post by GregS »

Version 3.1.1 is now available. I still haven't tested with PHP7 (coming soon!), but I did come across and fix one thing that I'm sure was not compatible with 7; if that was the only problem, then it may be good to go now.