Manually Create Games

Anything that doesn't fit in another category
bullmoose20

Manually Create Games

Post by bullmoose20 »

Hello,

While most people are looking to automatically create games through Zuluru, I already have all the games setup from an external system and would like to import them into Zuluru.

Is there a way to import a csv that is properly formatted? I have already successfully done this for Leagues, Divisions, Teams, and Affiliates.

I am kinda stuck for Facilities/Venues and for Games.

If there was a way to create 1 game, I could then look at the back end DB and see what was altered and create a properly formatted CSV to import. Any tipson this would be greatly appreciated as I would eventually like to add Practices from a CSV as well to allow teams to know when they have scheduled games and practices all from the 1 Zuluru interface. And as well to take advantage of the attendance to these "events".

Thanks,
Nick
GregS
Site Admin

Re: Manually Create Games

Post by GregS »

Scheduling games requires that game slots first be created. You can do this through Fields -> Add bulk gameslots, or you can go to a particular facility and use the "Add Game Slots" link next to a specific field. To add just one game for reference, the latter is probably what you want to do.

Then, if you go to Leagues -> [League name] -> Schedule -> Add Games, you'll be given the option of adding a single blank game, and you could then edit the schedule (edit link on the league schedule page) to set up the teams playing in that game as well as the field. At that point, your database would contain one properly formatted game.

Team events (e.g. practices) are a simpler format, should be pretty self-explanatory from looking at the database schema.
bullmoose20

Post by bullmoose20 »

Awesome Greg!

I will take a crack at this.

Just so that I understand some of the operations of the system, are conflicts handled in some way? For example, if I book an event (practice) at a facility manually (through the UI and not through the DB) and then I want to create a game manually at that same location, will the system prevent that or warn me and allow override? Is this type of stuff documented somewhere?

Same question posed slightly differently... If I double book a team for the same time at the same place or at different places, will I be warned of the double-booking?

Is there a list of conflicts that Zuluru handles so that I can review them in advance and understand it?

Thanks in advance,
Nick
GregS
Site Admin

Post by GregS »

Conflict checking is done only when you save a schedule. There's no function to check for conflicts in existing data, as it's not expecting that data to come from anywhere else, and it would already have checked it when you saved it. The main check that is done is to ensure that a game slot is not double-booked (it's possible to override this in some situations, but I don't believe this will apply to you). It also ensures that either (a) no team is scheduled for two games on the same day or (b) the "allow double-headers" box is checked when you save it AND and team that is scheduled for two games on the same day has those games at the same facility in non-overlapping times.

Note that "team events" are NOT (yet) assigned to specific facilities or fields or game slots. These functions are completely separate, so there is (currently) no way to schedule a practice (for example) on a field and prevent a game from also being scheduled on that field, or vice versa. It doesn't even ensure that a team event doesn't have a time conflict with a scheduled game. A future enhancement will allow team events and games to interact in this way, but as of now there's no expected date for completion of that feature.
bullmoose20

Post by bullmoose20 »

I just realized the fac t that the events are completely separate....but I am wondering about the schedule option.... when I added a game, it showed up as you described.

I then added a team event, and went back to the team schedule and looked for the game and the team event, but only the game showed up. Do I need to go elsewhere to see both events and games in "1" combined schedule?

With respect to trying to enforce conflict resolution between games and practices, what if I book a game for TEAM A vs TEAM A (This implies that it is a practice, but not even sure if the UI would allow for this) while if I book TEAM A vs TEAM B (This would imoply a game) and thus someone looking at the schedule would need to know that if you are playing against yourself, it means that it its a practice.

Of course another option for you would be to have an "event type" when adding to the schedule to specify "game", "practice", "other" in a future release of Zuluru.

Thanks,
NIck
GregS
Site Admin

Post by GregS »

It definitely won't allow you to book a team against itself. I have some pretty solid ideas about what needs to be done to improve support for practices, just need to find the time to do it; it's not a top priority at the moment. (Development contracts have a way of changing priorities and time allocation...)

There might be a caching bug in the team event creation. Can you try Configuration -> Clear cache and see if the event shows up on the team schedule after that?
bullmoose20

Post by bullmoose20 »

Clearing Cache did not change anything. However, what I did do was look at the table "events" and it is empty, while the table containing games, has my test games entered there.

I do get a success message when adding the event, but it seems like it is not committed to the DB for some reason.

Nick
GregS
Site Admin

Post by GregS »

It's the team_events table you should be looking at, not events, which is part of the registration system.
bullmoose20

Post by bullmoose20 »

Correct and I found the four entries that are in that table, but not showing up in the schedule for the two teams. 3 are for 1 team and the 4th is for a second team.

But for some reason these team events are not being displayed in zuluru.

Regards,
Nick
bullmoose20

Post by bullmoose20 »

And yet the .ics file does contain the GAME and TEAM EVENT data in it...

Nick